Saturday, March 23, 2019

Let’s watch another!

As the dates for filming are fast approaching I have done diligent research. A different kind of research I’ve ever done. Tens of hours of research just in the past couple of days and by research I mean watching as many movies as possible. I’ve tried to see as many classics I haven’t seen yet to gather inspiration. Five films that have truly stood out are of different veneers, but all share one thing, high quality. I am currently watching a science fiction thriller that has stood the test of time, Total Recall. As our movie is more of horror mystery we can’t take much from the film that made a superstar out of the Austrian giant, but I was inspired by their eye catching opening credits. However, my inspiration did not stop there as I also watched a comedic classic, Legally Blonde. Legally Blonde’s film opening also inspired me. Legally Blonde’s film opening applied various camera angles and techniques to establish a truly immersive atmosphere that I believe we can use in our very own film opening. I also watched a not so classic film called Hostile where Christian Bale plays a retiring policeman forced to proctect an Indian in the old Wild West. This scene really sprung inspiration into how to portray raw emotion on screen, I know that has a lot to do with great acting, but there is some techniques that are present to aid in the portrayal of that raw emotion  that we could also apply in our film opening. Another film I watched was Disaster Artist. Throughout this film it portrays our to demonstrate the growth and the eventual decay of a relationship through the application of various shots techniques mostly medium shots. Last, but certainly not least was the underrated film Enemy staring Jake Gyllenhaal. In this film about femininity and the struggle to find one’s true self there is an abundance of symbolic metaphors that are apparent throughout the film and that is especially at the conclusion of the film. Now, I know we don’t have the budget or the know how to quite take the symbolism this far we might still be able to take the techniques applied here to convey some symbolism. As I count the days until we finally get out there and film our real shots I plan to keep on watching films to see what inspiration hits next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Drum-roll please, here we have the film opening to Don’t Linger by Antonio Maya, myself Nicolas Pol, and Mark Murcanio please enjoy:  https:...