Friday, February 22, 2019

First Portfolio Project Post

The very first day the project was explained in great length me and my partners became brain storming what could be our film opening. I always thought what sells is what’s new so I decided to come up with some new and exciting ideas for our film opening. My research later found that the public does in fact find intrigue in new ideas. So we began to think what audiences rarely see anymore. I presented an idea that I’ve had for several years now. The idea of the antagonist winning or beating the protagonist. I came up with this idea years ago simply because I do not appreciate the same formula spit at me over and over and over again. Protagonist gets knocks down, protagonist gets back, and the protagonist ends up winning. This formula always irked me. I found myself always rooting for the antagonist wishing I would be refreshed by something new, I would be left disappointed. There is no real suspense if one already knows the outcome. Nobody goes to a fight they know is fixed.

Since my partners and I have creative control I decided to pitch the antagonist winning film opening to the group. The idea would go something like this I would dim the color in the shot through editing while I pan over a deserted location preferably a street then focus on an individual where one can see this person cough into a napkin to reveal blood, at this point the audience has the idea the that a disease has taken over the world and they are few survivors. Mark had a different idea. Since Mark appreciates the horror genre he pitched a film opening that would fit the genre. He presented the idea of an individual in an empty room where there’s a radio and a light-bulb flickering while there’s flies that are visible through the light. The individual then enters into a panic where he needs to get out of the room therefore he searches for his phone. But, then the song “run rabbit” plays on the radio and this individual gets even more urgency where really needs to get out of here now, but he realizes he can’t run out because his legs can be cut if he moves the slightest bit. Then the killer runs in and kills him while the music turns out in the cross fade. While Marks idea could be more exciting I believe that due to our limited resources we might not be able to create the exact idea Mark has in his head, while I believe my idea is much more feasible while still establishing an intriguing plot in a artistic way. We don’t know which plan if either we will go with, but it’s a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Drum-roll please, here we have the film opening to Don’t Linger by Antonio Maya, myself Nicolas Pol, and Mark Murcanio please enjoy:  https:...